Friday, February 28, 2014

The Ten Key Films that Made me the Woman I am Today

I've lived in a lot of places growing up. My mother was quite a 'transient' individual and our lives were much like those of gypsies. Since I was always the 'new kid' at school I didn't really have the chance to make friends. Most of my weekends and summers were spent by myself while my mom worked. I grew up as an only child to a single parent. Most of my childhood and adolescence was very lonely.

One of my greatest sources of comfort and escape was watching movies. I would watch movies over and over again like some sort of cinephile. I would rent my VHS movies at the local video store and watch them that day, and then again once more the next morning before they had to be returned. My 'trips to the video store' became some what of a little daily adventure. I would get my backpack and my small allowance, and get on my bicycle and head to the video store. Once I had decided on my 'feature film' for the day I would then venture on my bike to the local grocery store and pick out a delectable little treat for myself. Then I would ride bike to a teeny, tiny Chinese take out restaurant and order exactly 2 egg rolls. I was such a regular there that the old Asian man working there would watch me walk in, and I would only have to put up my two fingers, he would nod then go to the fryer and drop my egg rolls in (Thinking back to that now, he must have thought I was the oddest child he ever laid eyes on). Everything was then carefully placed in my backpack and off I would go again, treasures safely in tow and I homeward bound!

Movies were such a comfort. I could watch the interactions of people and learn from their relationships. Given that my mother was quite 'rough around the edges', to say the least, watching films helped me to learn about 'social graces' and proper etiquette. My movies were my friends. They helped me escape into another world and become apart of many adventures.

Through the years I find I always return to these key movies that played such an important role in my life as a child and youth. They have become my 'childhood teddy bears' so to speak. To this day when times get tough and I need a little down time/'me time' to recuperate I re-enact those yesteryear's and get into my jammies, close the drapes, get myself a little snack, get a comfy blanket, and escape into one of these films.

Here is my top ten list:


#10.   Pretty in Pink- 1986



I love, love, love this movie!!! It has all of the classic appeal of any John Hugh movie. The heroine of the movie Molly Ringwald is a social outcast who lives with her father years after her mother deserted the family. This movie deals with all of the 'important' high school issues like fitting in, poor kids vs. rich kids, love, drama, breakups, makeups, and secret crushes!! Jon Cryer and James Spade are so young in this movie... plus they have great 80's hair!! :D

 
#9.   What's Love got to do with it - 1993


This is the story of Tina Turner and I absolutely love this movie. The film takes you through Tina's life as a poor child growing up in the South all the way to her debut as a solo performer after she left Ike. This movie gives me a huge kick in the butt when I need it and screams out 'put your big girl panties on'!!!


#8.   Working Girl - 1988


Melanie Griffith stars in this film about a young woman trying to make her way up in New York City. She breaks free from a bad relationship (a young Alec Baldwin) and strikes out to land a job at a large New York company. Her employer (Sigourney Weaver) is out to get her and all the while she is being wooed by a young, handsome Harrison Ford! Lucky girl ;)  The theme song is sung by Carly Simon and gives me goosebumps every time I hear it. This is an awesome eighties, Girl Power movie!!


#7.    Beaches - 1988


So this goes with out saying but I'll say it anyway, This is THE classic Chick-flick! This is actually the first movie that I ever made me full out, ugly cry (except for Dumbo when I was a kid; the scene where the mom and Dumbo are separated and she has her trunk through the window and is rocking him to sleep, then a single tear comes down his cheek... don't even get me started). This film embodies that quintessential, amazing bond between women. Their friendship is spectacular!


#6.   A League of Their Own - 1992


"There's no crying in baseball!!!"  This film is a great ego booster for women! Set in the time of the second world war, this movie is based on the true story of the beginnings of Women's Baseball in the U.S. Starring Tom Hanks, Geena Davis, Rosie O'Donnell and her majesty herself Madonna...this has drama, comedy, action, and sports all rolled into one, heart warming package! :D



#5.    French Kiss -1995


Meg Ryan and Kevin Kline are magic in this film! This is your classic romantic comedy ladies!! I love, love, love this movie. To this day it still touches my heart and makes me laugh out loud. Meg Ryan plays an uptight woman who flies to Paris to try to win back her fiancé who has left her for a 'French Goddess'. Along the way her path crosses with a French local (Kevin Kline) who attempts to assist her in getting back 'her man'. Not only does this movie entertain, it also magically whisks you away to the amazing City of Paris! Bon Voyage! :D


#4.    Fried Green Tomatoes- 1991


This is an amazing story of friendship, love, justice and rebirth!! The film tells two heart warming stories, set in two different times.


#3.    Steel Magnolias-1989

 
 
This is another classic 'Chick flick'!!! It deals with friendships, relationships, the bonds between women, death, marriage, heartbreak and Love. These Southern women are hilarious to watch especially Shirley McClain's character of the old, mean but lovable, rich woman who's classic one liners will have you laughing out loud by yourself! This film also features lovely, poofy, 80's hair do's!!


#2.    What's Eating Gilbert Grape-1993


This film put Johnny Depp on the map for me (other than his performance in Edward Scissorhands which was amazing). His character is Gilbert Grape; a quiet, small town, young man who is struggling with family frustrations. His mother is morbidly obese, his younger brother is mentally delayed, his younger sister is self absorbed and he's left trying to hold it all together. This is a quiet drama that completely captivates you with it's honest characters and riveting performances by Johnny Depp, Leonardo Dicaprio, and Juliette Lewis.


#1.   Tootsie - 1982


This movie is my number one favourite! Dustin Hoffman's character dresses up as a woman to get work as an Actor in New York City. Hoffman, hands down, is an acting genius! His alter, female ego in the movie is Dorothy Michaels; a sassy, sharp tongued, southern woman who puts everyone in their place, yet manages to be the most lovable and gentile lady all at the same time. This is a classic comedy/heart warming film that everyone should see at least once in their life :D



Maybe you've seen some of these movies and maybe they all sound new to you... either way, I highly recommend you pour yourself a stiff drink, get out the box of Kleenex and check them out!!!

Cheers,
Bootsy
xoxo
 

2 comments:

  1. Great list! I know what you mean about certain movies feeling like 'old friends' or fuzzy blankets to put on when you need a bit of comfort!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Cat-in-a-Box!!

    It's all because of you that I came to first watch Beaches! Thank you! And... you had the Beaches Soundtrack which I've listened to for years. I feel so sentimental about my little movies.. it's like they're my babies. I have similar feelings of strong sentiment and attachment to music. A single song can completely transport me to a specific time and place.. like a time machine. All my life I would listen to music for comfort. My mother would always have the radio on when I was a child. To this day certain 80's music like Hall n Oates, Huey Lewis and The News, or Tears for Fears will take me right back to driving around Edmonton, with no seatbelts on, and me barely able to see over the dashboard :D

    ReplyDelete